Friday, January 21, 2011

Embrace.

So, I was pondering the concept of winter on my other [blog], and decided i'm going to come up with a starter kit list of how to chase away the Winter Blues. Sure, some are obvious, but when one is so bogged down by their own gloominess, it's hard to remember the basics sometimes.

I'm gearing this list towards people like myself, who find themselves in the midst of a busy, demanding schedule, and those little things you can squeeze in during your day/weekend are the things that make it all the better. So enjoy, college kids. Let's all be happy and cozy together, shall we?

Here it goes.


PART 1: The Basics:
If you can at least try these, you're getting somewhere.


I. Make tea: This is the most basic solution to any cold day. Hot chocolate, coffee, and cider can also suffice, but there is something about tea that it extra lovely to me. And when you make it, don't just hork it down. Enjoy it. The steam on your face, the warm mug in your hands...yeah. Mmm.


II. Turn on some tunes: I'm all over the ambiance thing, so whether it's constructing a cozy winter playlist on your iPod or just flipping on the jazz station on the radio, don't always sit in silence. Silence is necessary, too, but when you're blue, well, that's why the Blues were invented. If your emotions can take it, I tend to embrace Scandinavian music during the winter (Sigur Rós, Royksopp, etc.) It reminds you that there are colder, gloomier, and lonlier places in the world than your city apartment.

(Kjartan Sveinsson of Sigur Rós)



III. Clean up: There's nothing that will make your life gloomier that sitting around in the past week's filth. Clean up your room/apartment/whatever. It'll clear your brain.


IV.Mood lighting: Dorky as it sounds, setting your lights differently can really effect your mood. If you're feelings exceptionally gloomy, get some light into the corners of your room. The cozier you want it, the more lamps you'll want to use instead of overhead lights. But if you are feeling emotionally unstable (and I am not poking fun at that, believe me. Winter does weird things to people, me included), keep things light. None of this one lamp over in the corner business. Light it up! Life goes on in winter, too!


V. Burn stuff: If you are in a place where you can do this, why not? Candles, incense, wax tarts, anything that adds a nice fragrance and ambiance. I realized this fall when our apartment was really cold, that if I lit one particular candle in my bedroom, the temperature seemed to go up. In reality, I'm sure the temp was the same, as a candle does not put off that much heat, but the warm, spicy scent tricked my senses into thinking it was warmer in there. It was a really weird. So play a mind game with yourself. Light spicy candles, if you have any. They're 'warmer' than soapy-smelling ones, although those can work. Incense is also good. I personally adore the clove-scented incense we buy at The Electric Fetus (if you haven't gone there, GO, Minneapolis people!). Any one of these things will change your environment enough to make it cozy.
If you find yourself stuck in a college dorm with the no open flame rule, fear not. You can by battery-powered tea lights if you wish, or get a scent for your room that will make trick your senses.


VI. Read a book: I am currently in limbo between a lot of books, but I picked up a little one today at the library called "Myths of the Norsemen." I mean, why not read stuff from some of the people who REALLY know about dark, freezing places? Winter ain't all bad, especially when stories can be told. Read some legends or fairy tales, to spark your imagination about what lurks out there in the frozen night, just like the ancient Celts. Or be classic and read some Virginia Woolf or Jules Verne. If you're in college, I know you have homework, but even 15 minutes that you might have wasted towards whatever have now gone to embracing another lovely world or train of thought.



VII. Watch a movie: Whether you're alone or not, watching a movie is generally a good choice for something to distract you from present circumstances. The gist of it all is that all these things should be stuff that you could do alone and be happier, but friends always add a lovely dynamic. But you yourself should be able to chase those glum thoughts out, too.
Pick a movie that will pick you up. None of that Schindler's List business. Think Disney, or something. Something that has a nice atmosphere that will influence yours.



VIII. Get out: Yes, out. Into that cold. There's nothing worse for the morale than being a shut-in. If you bundle up right you'll be fine.
Nervous about looking stupid when bundled up? Don't. Unless you are wearing a metallic gold snowsuit, there is some unwritten code up here that when it gets desperately cold, if someone has a funny ploof on the top of their hat, who cares. Practicality outweighs fashion when it's subzero. I mean, if you want to try to be practical and totally fashionable, go for it. But don't be ashamed to tie that scarf around your frozen head if you have to. One sidelong glance from a stranger should not stop you from keeping you ears from literally freezing. Who cares.

Once you look like a puffy snow zombie, head out the door to a favorite haunt, or a new place, if you have time. If you're in between classes, take a different route. Pause and look at bulletin boards. Mosey, if you can.

If you have more time, go to a coffee shop and get things done. Or read that book. Bounce over to a library and just poke around. I did that today, and found books I wasn't looking for, and maybe wouldn't usually seek out.

If you have a LOT of time, say, it's the weekend, go downtown in your city and see the sights. Appreciate the little details in the architecture, the pennies on the ground, whatever. Enlarge your world.

Or, if you're in the middle of a ton of stuff, at least take a walk. Moving around will help you out.







PART 2: Beyond the Basics
Other things that can help, too.


IX. Cooking and baking: If you have access to a kitchen and ingredients, why not feel productive and make a nice meal for yourself? Pamper it up, kid. Be nice to yourself, you're having a gloomy day, remember? Make something up, or bake a favorite recipe. if they're around, share with neighbors or friends. They're probably a little blue, too.

If you are stuck in a college dorm with a meal plan, this isn't going to work out so hot with you, but hey, even making popcorn is tasty.





X. Rearrange your furniture: Nothing gives you something to do and the feeling of a fresh environment like rearranging stuff does. If you can't move furniture, at lease switch some stuff around to give yourself a little change.



XI. Snuggle: With cats, with blankets, with fuzzy socks, with a stuffed animal, whatever. And do it while watching a movie. Bury yourself in blankets, for goodness sakes.



XII. Raise a plant: If you have adequate sunlight and temperature in your living space, why not bring some green in and liven the place up? Greens beat blues.



XIII. Make something: Projects are a great way to keep you occupied and productive. Use anything you have to create a work of art or a practical item or whatever. Knit, if you can. I have no patience for it, but history has proven it to be a good use of time. Find items in nature to help you out. Maybe start [here].



XIV. Build a fort: Construct a cozy cave for your polar bear self, and snuggle in. Perhaps bring a friend, a book, or a movie with you.


XV. Write a letter: If you want to talk to someone, but they're not around, or you won't see them for a while, write a letter! I mean, wouldn't you want to get something in the mail to chase away the winter blues? Maybe they'll write back, and then you'll have another thing to look forward to.


XVI. Photograph winter: It's out there, it's beautiful, and right at your fingertips. You don't have to be a professional to enjoy seeing the small things. You can even print out your pictures and just hang them on your fridge for your own delight, to prove to yourself than you CAN get out and do things in the winter time.




So there you have it. Stuff to do.

"But Heather you forgot to mention ...."


Ah ah ah. See, there are a lot of activities that I didn't mention, partially because I didn't want to, and partially because, well, you can think up your own stuff to fit into your schedule. You could research something you find interesting, take up graffiti, so many possibilities. I'm only helping with a thought process here.


And I suppose, as I am a case and point example, the last idea:


XVII. Blogging: Yeah, it eats up your time. But it's fun. I started this (with some distractions) at 1:30. Now it's 5:30. Ha.





Alright. Happy winter.